Areas of Learning
All schools and Ofsted-registered early years’ providers must follow the EYFS, including childminders, preschools, nurseries and school reception classes. It forms the early years’ framework at all of our nurseries to ensure your child is fully prepared for the next stage of their education.
At Derwent Stepping Stones, we have a strong knowledge of each area of learning outlined in the Early Years Foundation Stage. Our practitioners work with all of the children in our care to plan the next steps in their learning and development. Ofsted have consistently acknowledged the quality of teaching and learning supplied within our early years’ framework, and schools report that children have arrived ready for the next stage in their educational journey.
The early years’ framework covers seven key areas of learning:
- Communication and language: listening and attention, understanding, and speaking.
- Physical development: moving and handling, and health and self-care.
- Personal, social and emotional development: self-confidence and self-awareness, managing feelings and behaviour, and making relationships.
- Literacy: reading and writing.
- Mathematics: numbers, shape, space and measure.
- Understanding the world: people and communities, the world, and technology.
- Expressive arts and design: exploring and using media and material, and being imaginative.