As a community business, Derwent Stepping Stones is a company limited by guarantee and a registered local children’s charity in Derby. This means that all surplus money generated in day-to-day operations and fundraising is re-invested for the benefit of the communities and families that we support.
We have been providing high quality childcare and early education to Derby communities for over 25 years with the ultimate aim of helping children and families to recognise their full potential. As a not for profit organisation, we rely on people wanting to donate to their local children’s charity and the fundraising done throughout the year to help us continue to maintain our service, as well as to provide further development to the nurseries and even more opportunities for the children under our care.
Our staff organise various fundraising activities during the year including Christmas and Summer Fairs, an Easter Chocolate Raffle and cake sales. These events are always a lot of fun and help to bring our communities together. Many generous supporters donate raffle and tombola prizes at our fundraising events, and we are so thankful for the support we’ve received. Our fundraising committee, made up of staff members, decides how funds raised will be spent. To date, the proceeds from events and one-off donations have helped us:
- Purchase pod suits and wellington boots for children to be outside in a variety of weathers;
- Transform our pre-school room into a natural curious environment;
- Buy special gifts for the children;
- Operate a variety of trips, including to the farm, theatre and local museums;
- Fund activities in the centre such as living eggs (chicks), caterpillars, bugs and bones, and a Zoolab;
- Provide special activities during the Covid-19 lockdown, including resource drops to families who could not attend, animal day, a beach party, VE day celebrations, rainbow day and our own Olympics.
If you’d like to donate to your local children’s charity and help support the work we do at Derwent Stepping Stones, you can donate or offer to fundraise for us via the button below.